EU glass processing market prospects

The EU-25 is the world's largest glass bottle market, with a total production of nearly 20 million tons. Among them, FEVE (The European Container Glass Federation, the European Glass Bottle Federation, with 17 member states including Germany, France, Italy and the United Kingdom). In 2000, the total production volume of glass bottles in all member countries was over 18 million tons, and in 2003 it increased by 19 million tons. , is the highest output in recent years. The per-cap glass production of FEVE is 40.6 kg.

In the EU’s largest glass bottle producer, Germany, glass bottle production decreased from 4.43 million tons in 1994 to 4.11 million tons in 2004, a reduction of 7.3% in 10 years. However, this downward trend was reversed in 2006. Shipments of glass bottles in Germany were 17.2 billion in 2006, an increase of 5.5% from 16.3 billion in the previous year. Shipments were 1.56 billion Euros, an increase of 4.7% over the previous year's 1.49 billion Euros. German glass packaging containers (bottles and cans) accounted for the proportion of total packaging consumption, which was 23.3% in 2005. German consumers still feel good about glass bottles. According to USSMA's survey, 40% of consumers consider glass bottles to be “very good” and 38% are considered “good”.

The Western European (including Turkey) glass bottle market, including Germany, is the main body of the European glass bottle market. In Western Europe, the consumption of glass bottles reached 15 million tons in 2003 and increased to 15.3 million tons in 2004. In 2005, it continued to increase slightly to 15.37 million tons. Glass bottles for wine, mineral water and beer packaging account for a large proportion of the total, such as Italian wine bottles account for 41% of the total glass bottles, mineral water bottles accounted for 18%, beer bottles accounted for 14%, distilled wine bottles accounted for 6 %, tomato sauce bottles accounted for 6%, olive oil bottles accounted for 5.8%, juice bottles accounted for 5.2%. Glass bottled beer is still the most common in Western Europe. In Denmark, glass bottled beer accounts for 90% of all beer, and the other 10% is fresh beer that does not require special packaging. The proportions of glass bottled beer in other countries are: 78% in Portugal, 76% in Greece, 74% in Italy, 72% in Finland, 69% in Netherlands, 68% in Germany, 60% in Switzerland, 50% in Austria, 53% in Austria, 53% in Spain, and 51% in Belgium . In addition to the EU, the consumption of glass bottles in countries such as Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States is also large. Such as Russia's packaging glass bottle production in 5.6 billion in 2000, increased to 9.4 billion in 2005, the total growth rate in 5 years is 68%, an average annual increase of 11%.

The consumption of French glass bottles is the highest in Western Europe, with 3.42 million tons in 2004 and a slight reduction of 3.26 million tons in 2005. In France, the consumption of wine bottles and beer bottles account for about 1/3 of the total consumption of glass bottles, food glass bottles account for 20%, and soft drink bottles account for about 10%. Germany, the United Kingdom and Italy also consumed more than 2 million tons of glass bottles. In 2005 they were 2.93 million tons, 2.34 million tons and 2.12 million tons, respectively, which was ranked fifth in Spain, which was 1.66 million tons. Per capita glass bottle production, Portugal reached 100.5 kg, ranking first among countries, followed by Italy 62.4 kg, France 61.6 kg, Spain 50.4 kg, Germany 49.8 kg, Austria 45.1 kg.

West European glass bottles have high recovery and recovery rates. The glass bottle recycling volume increased from 9.38 million tons in 2003 to 9.56 million tons in 2004 and 9.89 million tons in 2005. The average recycling rate was 63% in 2004 and slightly increased to 64% in 2005. Sweden and Switzerland have very high glass recycling rates, up to 96% and 95% in 2005. The recoveries in Belgium, Norway, Germany, Austria, Ireland, and the Netherlands are also high, at 92%, 90%, 86%, 83%, 81%, and 78%, respectively.

Posted on